
Have you ever gone "fiddling"? How about "doodling"? I did when I was a little girl and then I did today without even trying.
As I was working in the yard today pulling out old plants and getting my flower beds ready for the pansies I hope to buy tomorrow, I had earthworms coming up e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e!!
It brought back memories of when I used to go "fiddling" for worms with my sisters, cousins, my Daddy and GrandDaddy. We needed bait before going fishing.
"Fiddling", "snoring" or "doodling" up the slimy earthworm from their deep dark hiding places is really pretty easy if you know where to look and what to do. GrandDaddy would drive a short (1 - 2 foot) stake into the ground and then he'd rub his ax blade back and forth across the top of the stake. The vibration and the "snoring" sound would make the earthworms mysteriously appear above ground as if by magic. Picture all of us kids squealing as we picked them up (yuck) and put them in a bait can.
I never thought I'd say this about worms, but seeing them today brought by "sweet" memories of my Daddy and GrandDaddy. GrandDaddy was my Mom's father, but my Daddy loved him as if he was his own father. They were great friends and fished together as often as they could.
Today I noticed one of my flower beds didn't have as many worms as the others, so I took a bunch of the worms from the other beds and scattered them in that bed. Transporting worms....oh my!...I didn't have THAT on my list of things to do today. LOL
And the worst part of it all today was making sure I didn't squish one. I was so afraid I would step on one or kneel on one as I moved down the flower beds.It was a truly beautiful day...perfect to be outside.

From Kat
16 comments:
What a sweet story, Kat. In the Spring I'll try that with my granddaughter Sydney. She loves to help me plant in my garden and she would love fiddling for worms! Nice memory!
Kathy
Ewwwww. I've never heard of that! Sounds like something cool to show my kids though because they think worms are fun! Ick!
I've never heard of that. We used to dig up worms to go fishing at my Grandpa's pond. Too bad we didn't hear about that technique!
It was a beautiful day in East Texas today too. I did not see any earthworms though. (:
LOL nope I can't say that I have ever gone fiddling and the only doodling I've ever done is on paper.
YIKES just the thoughts of worms sorry I'm such a girl.
Kathy :)
Sweet memories! Worms are good for the soil! Sounds like you had a productive day working in your yard. I worked a bit in my yard today too - it was pretty here also.
Have a good week, Kat - see you soon - Kellan
I certainly never heard of that technique and I would be fit to be tied if I saw lots of earthworms where I was working. They make my skin "crawl" just like looking at a snake does. You're quite a woman, Kat!
Our Dad used to take us fishing, but since we lived in the city there was nowhere proper to dig up worms. He'd stop by the bait store on our way and pick up worms and "snouts." Worms I could handle but the snouts I referred to as "snots" because you had to squeeze them out of their casing. Ewww! xxoo
This was always our job as kids: to make sure the bait bucket was full. You can imagine my dad's surprise one day to find last night's liver dinner in the bait can!
Oh Kat, I can't do worms girl!!! No way, no how. I scream like a baby anytime I'm digging in the dirt and I scoop one up!!!! YUKIEEEEEE!!! Hope it's warmer in Florida today than it is here in AR!
There is something so wonderful about gardening...okay - except for weeding. That is not too fun...but planting and watering and even planning out a garden is so peaceful to me. Don't forget to post pictures of your new flowers.
oh my, my kids would be in heaven. I've promised myself since I hs, that I wouldn't be so squirmy around those things...I'm biting my cheek at the thought...don't want my kids developing any of my bad habits. Emily, Nikolaus, & Jakub would be glad to oblige any time. Wish I had photo of us tilling our veg garden...grasshoppers out the wazoo. (babies and adolescents--fat, squishy, wingless things)
Hey great hs experiment for us though!! Thanks.
Add your old coffee grounds to your beds...great fertilizer and wont hurt the earthworms.
Wow, interesting! Loved it.
Cathleen :-)
When it rains here you could just walk down the street and pick thousands of them up off the pavement. No dirty nails involved!! I really don't like them on the street. But, it's usually just for a couple hours right after a rain.
Great story Kat. I've never heard of this before but isn't it nice when something reminds you of good memories.
Kat, For the life of me, I can't get a mental picture of you playing with worms! LOL Cute post and cartoon to end it with!
Post a Comment