Sunday, November 18, 2007

SUNDAY...THIS AND THAT

Warning~Long post ahead...lots of photos too!


Church was incredible today. It's always good, but some days are just over the top and today was one of those days. I'm so thankful for my church and my church family.
**************************************************

Speaking of my church family...two of my friends chaired a great project for the Children's Volunteer Health Network, a faith-based organization which facilitates the delivery of comprehensive direct medical, dental and mental health services to low-income school children throughout our county and surrounding counties. They partner with a network of physicians, dentists and healthcare providers that give their servies at no charge to the children. Just think about that...what a wonderful organization! I didn't really know alot about it until recently, but it's an organization that I want to volunteer for.

Today we visited one of their fund raising projects called Cottages for Kids. The cottages have been on display now for a few weeks and the auction will be held on November 24th. Just look at these wonderful playhouses!

This first one is called the "Bau Wau Haus". His big red tongue is designed to stick out so you can slide into the pool of fun. If you look closely there is a swing between his ears and his collar has a big bell.

Back view - how cute is that?!
Inside - look at the doggy shaped seats and the dog bone shapped table!


Okay, these next two are great!


The one in the background is called "The Pinwheel Windmill". It was inspired by the timeless storybook cottages of Europe and the eclectic windmills of the Dutch. It was my favorite on the inside.

The white one in front is called "The Fanciful Folly". So cute.


This was the back door.
Here's two photos taken on the inside of "The Pinwheel Windmill". I love all the details.


The children loved climbing to the top and playing with the puppets.

This one is called "Dun Wishes & Dreams Castle". Can you imagine how much fun kids would have? It even has a working drawbridge!

Just turn the crank to work the drawbridge.



This next one is called "Pineapple Under The Sea". I didn't see SpongeBob SquarePants, but this would be perfect for him and his friends, don't cha think?
A climbing wall outside and inside a sandbox with sea shells!


Here's a view of lots of the cottage all in a row. I didn't get a good photo of the yellow one toward the back. It was so cute. Not pratical to put in a back yard unless it was very private (since it was bright yellow), but it was a cute idea. It was called "Citron". A giant lemonade stand shaped like a perfect lemon. It had a bright green door and when you entered, you climbed spiral steps to the top.


This one got my vote as the best (yep, at the end of the tour you voted). I loved the looks of many of the others, but the children LOVED this one and had the most fun. Inside and out it had lots to do. It was called "Slide-Away Hill". The children could climb up the grass hill, slide down, climb up to the lookout and it even had an escape hatch. Very cool.

They could use the rope or the hand grips. I wanted to try it, but......

This is called "The Perfect Play-Fort". I loved this one, inside and out. So cute and look at all the details. The front doors slide open and closed. I loved the tin roof.



This next one was called "Behind the Sky". Inside was a sandbox, but it was designed to hang a hammock inside to allow the lounger to view the sky through the open roof.



See the white one off in the background? I didn't get a close-up photo of it either. It was called "Green Top Cottage". Two sides with a patio between covered with a canopy.


One side had a room for fun with all kinds of activities and the other side had hammocks for naptime. Really cute.



This one was called "The Fibonacci House". Very plain, but the boys seemed to like it.










This one was called "La Petite Salle". Another very plain one. It looks more like one an adult might like to use to do meditation in.


This last one is called "Dickens Cottage" and is the 2007 Raffle House. For a $5.00 donation, I just might win it....sure hope so!



Here's 2 more views looking down the lawn. I hope you enjoyed your tour. I sure did.




*********************************************




Boy, this was a weekend of birthdays!





Yesterday was not only the birthday of our granddaughter, Kaley Grace, but also the birthday of Terri at Lakewood Manor!


Today is the 40th birthday of Sandy at I love to dream, live to create and hope to inspire. Go by and let her know that 40 isn't bad - at all! Don't they say 40 is the new 20? LOL

Happy Happy Birthday Kaley Grace, Terri and Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!

*********************************************

Speaking of parties ~ our daughter's friend held a party for dogs in honor of her dog's birthday. Here's a couple of pictures she e-mailed me. Too cute! What a fun idea!
Our daughter Bree is on the left holding our grand-dog, Hershey.

*********************************************

Heather wrote a great post entitled "Holy Crap"...I know, it made me say "What?", but it really is a wonderful, thought provoking post. You can read it here.










21 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you had a busy day! All of them are great but I like the Dickens Cottage the best. Hope you win!

Tonja said...

MY! MY! What fantastic little houses! Very original ideas. I think I like the one with the thatched roof and the arched door. I bet it was fun to walk and look at them.

A Captured Reflection said...

What a fantastic idea, these are amazing! I had a wish I could have been there seeing all those moment when I read this post! Cute doggy party too :-)

Linda said...

Oh, you were busy but what fun. The houses are amazing, I enjoyed all the pictures and I especially liked the Dickens Cottage...good luck. Linda

Angela Baylis said...

What fun pictures! I sounds like you've been busy! I admire you for taking the time to do this long post! It was such a nice one!

I want to look into volunteering for a dental organization.
Love,
Angie xoxo

Andi said...

Loved reading your post Kat! Those cottages are awesome. All the pictures were great. I really loved the one with the thatched roof and cute litte arched door. The creative ideas people have amaze me.

Love your daughter's dog party. My entire family are dog lovers. We should have a party for the doggie kids!!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Thank you for the shout out on Sandy's birthday, I hopped over there to sing 'oh happy day'
That is a darling playland!

kari and kijsa said...

So glad to visit you...the dog party is such a cute idea! Hope you have a very blessed week!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Jolene George said...

There is nothing better than a really good day at church that leaves you feeling totally inspired and your heart filled with peace.
oh my goodness....those are the most incredible playhouses I've ever seen.

Unknown said...

Yuor Grand dog Hershey-how cute!

I loved those little cottages. What a novel idea!

The article on Holy Crap was very convicting! Thanks for linking to it.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

You had a great and busy day. Please get some rest. Smiles Mary

Nunnie's Attic said...

Can you imagine having a play house like that as a kid?? Are you kidding me? I think I'm like the others and the Dickens Cottage is my favorite. I wonder how much change it would cost for one of those. I love them!

Love,
Julie

Sheila said...

You had a great day Sunday! Love the playplaces/houses. This is a worthy cause, you will be a great help to them. Love Bree's dog cute, and cute idea for party...Thank you for sweet post, and to answer your question about me working..Yes I do, Mon-Fri Board of Education. General Programs Bookkeeper. I worked at my children's school, but for the last 2 years I have been at our Central Office, I miss the school enviroment, and summers off....
Thanks for asking...
Smile,
Sheila

Cherdecor said...

I loved looking through all the little houses. What fun! Hope you win!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kat, those playhouses are just the cutest! I would have loved to have those when I was a kid...I'm sure all the kids will enjoy them all, so creative.

Thanks for the haircut compliments! Your haircut was a huge influence on me too. When you got yours cut awhile ago, I took your pic to my other hairstylist & she did a pretty good job with it, but I like the 2nd one better. Between you and Debra, ya'll really made me want this flippy hairdo! I just loved yours. I think I'm finally happy with mine for now.

Can't wait til our meeting in B'ham end of this month! I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone.

xo,
Rhoda

Alice said...

Thank you so much for sharing the little cottages. Such great ideas in all of them. I don't think I could have picked a favorite.

I'm thinking about hosting a tea for dogs in the spring. I'm a bit worried though that my own two wouldn't be very good hosts, eating all the guests' treats and jumping on the tea table. :)

Elzie said...

Oh my what a place to stay for kids. Really different houses. Seems you had a great time.
Hope you have a good week.
Love Elzie

*carrie* said...

Kat,

Those playhouses are so creative--what a fun tour!

I'm also amazed by the dog party. I can't imagine our springer spaniel being well-behaved (indoors!) around a group of canine companions!

Sandi McBride said...

wow, I want the Dickens Cottage, too! They are all so sweet...I love the doggie house, too. I love the birthday party for the pooch...I have one granddog and 3 grandcats...hope your 5 dollar donation gets you that Cottage!!!have a little gift for you at my place, hope you enjoy it...

Lavender Chick said...

I felt like one of Snow White's 7 dwarfs going on the picture tour of the cottages! How cute!!

Loved the doggy party, too!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Deb

Theresa said...

wow, makes me want to be a kid again, I would of loved climbing through all of those things.

The last picture of all the girls with their dogs is just way too cute- and made me smile. Makes me feel bad that I never threw a birthday party for my cat. :)