Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I'VE BEEN A BUSY BEE TODAY

I played tennis this morning for the first time since last Friday. After playing every day last week, I hurt my knee in the dumbest way possible on Friday...taking off my shoes after the match. You know how you use one foot to push off the shoe from the other foot? Well, that's what I did... I somehow hyper-extended my knee when I pushed off my shoe! Crazy! I was worried about playing today, but I did okay although it's still sore. This getting older is for the birds....



After a quick shower and lunch, I made almost 200 Sweet and Sour Meatballs to take for appetizers on Thanksgiving.


The cast of characters.
My kitchen sure smelled yummy! I think I drove Miss Daisy crazy with the smell.Some are ready and cooling and more sauce is ready for the next pan.


Sweet and Sour Meatballs (each recipe makes approx. 95)

2 lbs ground beef (chuck)

1/2 cup fine corn flake crumbs

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

2 tsp. salt

pepper

1 Tbsp. chopped parsley (optional)

2 eggs

1/4 cup milk

Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Shape into small balls. Arrange in a greased baking pan and cook in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. (I line my cookie sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.) Cover with Sweet and Sour sauce. Keep warm in chafing dish or crockpot.


Sauce:

1 ten ounce jar of apple jelly

1 cup ketchup

2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

dash of cloves (add a little, then taste, add more if needed)

Combine ingredients; heat slowly until jelly melts.


I did lots of laundry.
I starting packing the car for our Thanksgiving trip tomorrow.
Miss Daisy got a bath.
My friend, Jeanette came by so I could help her download songs to her new iPod and she needed me to print out some photos for her.
George grilled us some of the best steaks EVER! He's getting to be a wiz on the grill! All I had to do was make a salad and bake a potato. Easy dinner.

Miss Daisy needed a hug! See how tired I look!


We watched Dancing With The Stars. I still think the winner will/should be Helio Castroneves and his partner, Julianne Hough. They are amazing! Below is a clip from a few weeks ago. He's so charming and cute and boy can he dance! Go Helio!!!!!

****************************************************


Guess who's turning 40 tomorrow (Wednesday, 21st)?


A little birdie told me!

It's Leah! Go wish her a Happy Happy Birthday!

16 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Have a great thanksgiving, all this food is making me feel hungry....yes I'm going to leave you all in suspense about Q-Bear (I've given you his name though). I was saying to my husband - what is thanksgiving...it's like I know of it, pilgrims, freedom - but I don't know as much as I ought...so will google more to know more :-)

Tammy said...

That picture of you and your Daisy is so adorable! :)
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving~
~Tammy

Susie Q said...

Oh those meatballs look SO good! I can just imagine how wonderful your home smelled! You HAVE been busy!

Sweet Miss Daisy!!

Please stay well and safe on your Thanksgiving get away. Savor each moment...you are such a special lady and I am blessed to *know* you!

Hugs,
Sue

Jean said...

You mentioned making those meatballs and I thought, "I need to get that recipe from her." How delightful to scroll down and find it already there! They look SOOO good.

Wow, you did have a productive day! Did you say where you're going for Thanksgiving? If you did, I forgot what you said, so could you tell us again??

Elzie said...

It sure sounded jummy. I wish I could visit a home for Thanksgiving sometimes. It would be nice to taste sweet potatoes and all the other stuff you have that weekend.
Hope everything is well with your knee now.
Love Elzie

Tonja said...

Now don't go and get so 'wore out' that you can't enjoy B Club! :)

Have a great trip. Be safe!

Dianne said...

That picture of you and Miss Daisy is cute! I hug my cat like that quite often too, but she's not always as cooperative! :-) Hope your knee is all well very soon...that's a pain to deal with, literally and figuratively. Where are you going for Thanksgiving? I don't remember you mentioning that, but there's evidently a trip on store since you were packing the car. Just curious.

Unknown said...

Kat,

Those look so good. Hope you don't mind me "stealing this recipe for my Southern Christmas Open House" I'll tell everyone they are Southern Sweet and Sour Meatballs. I mean you're from the south, you see my logic right? LOL But they do look easy and yummy. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Alice said...

Miss Daisy is such a beautiful girl and seems quite pleased after her bath.

Thank you so much for the meatball recipe. I made meatballs for a party last year using a recipe everyone said was great...grape jelly and cocktail sauce. I thought at the time it sounded like a strange combination and I should have gone with my instinct. Those meatballs were vile. I wish I'd had your recipe instead.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Sandi McBride said...

I'm a meatball lovin' girl as you well know, lol...I have copied and printed, now I gotta get to cookin!!! Thanks...have a great day tomorrow!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

This time of year always reminds me that my lack of talent in the kitchen really is a shortcoming and not just a way to get out of another chore! lol

Anonymous said...

Pretty picture of you and your baby. Meatballs look oh so yum. Fun cartoons. Have a lovely Thanksgiving.
Alexandra

Theresa said...

wow you have been a busy lady!- sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it is feeling better-yes I hate when I injure myself doing something simple.

200 meatballs, that is dedication to your meal! Enjoy.

Jill said...

You're always busy as a bee. I wished Leah a happy birthday on my blog, too. She shares the same birthday as my brother. Hope you have/had a great Thanksgiving! Will be seeing you soon!

Unknown said...

Your meatballs looks scrumptious! Have fun on your holiday trip... Nice to visit your blog and get such sweet well-wishes. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Anonymous said...

Oh delicious... look at those meatballs!