Thursday, December 11, 2008

HOW TO MAKE A SANTA AND OTHER "STUFF"

(photos are "clickable" for close up views)


Many of you left sweet messages asking how Mom and I made our Santas. I'm embarrassed to say that they're very very easy...not much talent was needed. LOL

You just need some cinnamon sticks, paint and either modeling paste or snow-tex for the hair and fur. The paint will dry pretty quickly, but the modeling paste or snow-tex will take hours. Be patient...just let it dry hard. We only used four colors of paint for our Santas...a red for his clothes and mouth, a peachy/nude color for his face, pink for his rosy cheeks and black for his eyes. You can find cinnamon sticks in lots of sizes, so just pick the size you like. As you can see, we added arms to some of them. If you decide to add arms, just use small cinnamon sticks and break or cut into pieces and then glue gun them on. Almost every year when I unpack them, the arms have fallen off, so I just glue gun them back on.

I sure felt silly doing a "photo shoot" lining them all up. As you can see, there's no right or wrong way of decorating them. Do your "thang"...whatever you like. Each one should have it's own "purse-a-nality", right? The photo of the large ones at the top of this post shows how we painted the faces. My camera flash kinda washes them out in these photos.
Looks like we have a few crooked characters...hmmmm...maybe former politicians? LOL
They weren't too happy with showing their backsides, but I wanted you to see that we dated some of them. Looks like we did them in 1991 and 1992. I see my initials, Mom's and Bree's (she was 9 at that time, amazing!)

I'm pretty sure we made some of these as teacher gifts that year. We made some homemade hot chocolate mix and put a small bag of it in a cute Christmas coffee cup and then stood one of the cinnamon Santas in the cup too.
~~~~~~

BTW...the large Santas at the top were made exactly the same way except we used large dowels that were cut and the tops were sanded to form the hats and we used popsicle sticks for the arms.

Have fun and let me know if you make some.
~~~~~~
Today a group of us girls got together for a little Christmas luncheon. We had so much fun.

Here's our hostess, Erika, with me. Erika is amazing. She plays tennis with me, is a wonderful cook, sews, and is an artist. Almost every painting in her house is her own art, including the beautiful one over the fireplace. And...she's a sweetheart too.

Our first course was an absolutely w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l cup of butternut squash soup. Oh.my.word!
Here's a few of us acting silly...putting our hands under our chins like our friend Jo likes to do.
The main course was chicken salad piled on a circle of cantalope, a wonderful green salad with honey roasted pecans, and a yummy cranberry jello salad. I didn't get a photo of our dessert...a beautiful German apple torte. Delish!
~~~~~~
Thank you Lord for good friends!
~~~~~~
And speaking of friends....
My sweet friend Charlotte at Charlotte's Weblog has passed along TWO very special awards. The definition of these blogs really make them special. Thank you so much Charlotte for thinking of me! I'm truly touched.
~~~
"The Friends Award for blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find, and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement."
"The Lemonade Award for blogs which show great Attitude and/or Gratitude!" ~~~~~~
I don't know about you, but I'm still wrapping. As you can see, I have presents under the tree, behind the tree and more spilling out the sides and the front. And...I still have more to wrap! Hmmmm....maybe I should just start stacking them in a closet?!


Hugs and kisses,
Kat

25 comments:

Jean said...

Those Santa's look like a fun project to do with Destiny some day over Christmas vacation. They're adorable!

Your friend's house is so lovely, and her painting too. Dick's mother was an oil paint artist, and we all have many of her paintings hanging in our houses.

Harbor Hon said...

Congrats on your awards! Love the rear shot of the Santas. You are just too cute! I heart your tree too with all those pretty ornaments and presents around it. Thanks for sharing how the Santas were made, I'm going to have to try that for next year.

You go to the nicest places and I love that you share your day with us. Merry Christmas sweet girl! xxoo

YaYa's Funhouse said...

I love your tree!! I have a red Volkswagon on my tree, just like the gold one your tree...how funny!!
Looks like you and friends have a great time together.
Merry Christmas

Terri Steffes said...

I love those santas. I just cannot add anything new to my plate, but I think I will do one a month until christmas next year... do you really think that could happen?

Mari said...

Your tree looks so pretty all lit up! Thanks for the Santa instructions too!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kat! I've been so busy this week, I hope next week slows down a little. Sandi & I are getting together for lunch on Monday, so that will be fun.

Your little Santas are SO cute! xoxo & Merry Christmas. Looks like you're having fun.

ABrushWithHumor said...

Those Santa sticks are so cute! I'm going to have to try that!

Robin

Cherdecor said...

I love your snowman sweater, Kat! You look cute in it too! Your Christmas tree is so pretty. The santas are cute too!

Anonymous said...

I think it's neat that you have so any friends and that you have so much fun with them.
Christmas Hugs,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I was thinking this was a different post when I made my first comment. I went back to the cinnamon sticks and realized they were at the top of this same post, so here's my second comment.
The Santas are so cute. No doubt they smell wonderful too. Thanks for showing us how to do it. Looks fairly easy. If I didn't spend so much time bloggin' I might have time to make some Santas. I really like them.
Charlotte

Kathy said...

Those Santa's are just darling. Thanks for the info. Congrats on your well deserved awards!
Kathy

Sheila said...

Kat Thanks for posting about favorite things list and playing along (I love your list), I also love the Santa's you are one talented girl.
You have been busy during the Holiday Season too. I hope you have a blessed day.
Merry Christmas!
Sheila

windycorner said...

The Santas are so cute. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do any handmade Christmas decorations this year. The late Thanksgiving has me playing catch-up on everything. Today I'm finishing cards and wrapping and Monday I'm hosting a Mother-Daughter luncheon. Your friend's menu gave me some good ideas.
Holley

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thank you for the directions for making those adorable little Santas. They are cute up close too when I click on the photo. Your party looks like it was a lot of fun and I love butternut squash soup. Your friend's paintings are beautiful. Yes, Thank God for wonderful friends. What would we do without them? BTW, I highlighted your blog on mine today. xoxo

Anonymous said...

We have wrapped some today,but I need boxes.We worked and went to the Tea room.I can't believe I left my camera.
Congrats on your awards.

Tardevil said...

I'm still wrapping too...and shopping! My daughter would love to make them. But, she may have to wait until summer at this rate! I'm sooooooooo behind! The party looked like loads of fun. Loved that the tv was NOT above the fireplace, like mine is! Wish I had one like that!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Kat, Thanks for giving a tutorial on the santa's! They are so cute! The luncheon you attended looked like so much fun...and filled with delicious food! Congrats on the awards! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Ms. ~K said...

Love the Santas...
Your blog is one of my favorites.
Kit

xxxoooxxx to Miss Daisy

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I loved the photoshoot!

Thanks for showing how to make the Santas! I am going to make some of these with my daughter over Christmas break. Thanks!


It looks like a fun time and great food! Life is good!

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Adorable! I also noticed your Christmas Spode! My Mother in-law started my collection, so i like to pull it out for December and we use it all month.

You are Rock-in the Christmas Sweater! :-)
xoxo,
Cathleen

Love Being A Nonny said...

The santas are too cute!! Thanks for the directions! Wanted to ask, I notice that you, and some of your friends, have fireplaces in your homes. Does it get cold enough in FLA to use a fireplace? Or is it just for the ambiance?

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Thanks for the the info on how to make those adorable Santas. It something I would love to try.....maybe next year....not sure I can jam anymore into this year.

Dianne said...

The santa's are adorable! I'm impressed they've lasted as long as they have...1992, 1992 was a long time ago!

Congrats on your awards!

fawndear said...

Love your Santa sticks, I'll definately have to try doing that project.

Congrats for being awarded. You deserve it.

Lori said...

I'm not sure which one I am more intrigued with. The Santas or the luncheon. .haha. Both are a feast for the eyes. I was blown away by Erika's picture over her fireplace. What talent!! And you KNOW I LOVE those little Santas. Thank you for the instructions. I'm going to make some when things slow down.

Hugs!
Lori