Friday, September 10, 2010

I WALK FOR MORE BIRTHDAYS


A world with less cancer is a world with more birthdays!

My birthday is later this month and I hope to have many many many many more.

As a lot of you will remember, I walk every year in The Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. I'm proud to say that my team is always the largest one in our local walk. I hope it will be again this year. Our walk is Saturday, October 30th.


Most of my team last year, but not all...some arrived after the photo was taken.

I've been asked to speak at the Team Leader University meeting tomorrow morning about how I have been so successful with my team. I am not a speaker, but will do my best. Say a prayer for me please.




Here are the wonderful lyrics to this inspirational song by Melissa Etheridge, a cancer survivor herself. Enjoy! She says run, but I walk...either way, it's important that we participate so ALL of us can have more birthdays.

I RUN FOR LIFE

It's been years since they told her about it

The darkness her body possessed

And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed

Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast

If you ask her why she is still running

She'll tell you it makes her complete


[Chorus:]
I run for hope

I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real

I run for your mother, your sister, your wife

I run for you and me, my friend
I run for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken its toll
And they cut into my skin and they cut into my body

But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To awake when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still running

I'll tell you I run for us all

[Chorus:]

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife

I run for you and me my friend
I run for life

And someday if they tell you about it

If the darkness knocks on your door

Remember her, remember me
We will be running as we have before

Running for answers
Running for more

[Chorus:]

I run for hope

I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend
I run for life


My team's official kick-off is TODAY. If you would like to donate to my team and help give me (and you and those you love) more birthdays, please click on the thermometer on my sidebar. Every single dollar helps.


"Father, help me to be a blessing to someone today."

8 comments:

Connie said...

I know you will do a great job. Be yourself! Will go over right now and give you some support!

Have a good weekend! Connie

Jean said...

That is so cool that you're going to speak to the other team leaders! I have no doubt that you'll do a great job just being yourself.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

My thoughts are with you my friend. Maybe next year I'll be walking too!

Anonymous said...

God bless you this year and EVERY year Kat! My dear coworker Sharon has relapsed after 4 clean years. She is such a dear with a positive attitude. Can I brag on her a bit? She joked about her son said she looked like Aunt Jemima in her kerchief covering her head...and Sharon said, hey, it's better than looking like Uncle Ben!

Run.walk.live!
carols

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

You will do the cause proud. I pray for the cure...m..

Sally said...

You are such an inspiration to so many people, Kat. ((hugs))

Bacardi Mama said...

You will be awesome. No doubts here. I also walk every year for this cause. One of my dearest friends was a victim to this awful disease. Even though her cancer has retruned in a different place, her determination and hope are unstoppable. I will walk for her and you and all of us. Some day, my hope is that we will have to walk no more because there will be a cure. That is my biggest hope! I will gladly sponsor you.

Harbor Hon said...

You know I'll be adding my name to Team Davenport as soon as I get paid again. You go girl! xxoo