Tuesday, December 13, 2011

O CHRISTMAS TREE, O CHRISTMAS TREE

O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy candles shine so brightly!
O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy candles shine so brightly!
From base to summit, gay and bright,
There's only splendor for the sight.
O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy candles shine so brightly!


I love my carolers.  Over the years, I've moved them from one spot to another.  One year they graced the mantle.  One year they stood proudly on the baby grand piano.  Sometimes they are on the foyer table.  So many possibilities.

This year they are on my antique sideboard in the dining room.

I love them.  I love the detail.



I love the idea of having carolers stop by.  I would love to stand on the front porch and listen to their beautiful voices and then applaud, of course.   Afterwards I would love to invite them in for cookies and hot chocolate.

Just thinking about it makes me smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a few more gifts and I'll be finished with my shopping.  Of course, they are the hard ones.  You know...the ones that take more thought, time and effort.  There's always a few each year, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember me mentioning that my oven (my beautiful 6 year old Wolf) got sick the night before our family cookie bake.  Well, the repairman finally arrived today.  Somehow the bake element has gone "wacko" (my description, not his) and he has to order a part.  And it won't be here until after Christmas!  Thank goodness we will be away quite a bit and in between I can get by with grilling, using my crock pot and stove top.

I'm proud to say I'm keeping my Christmas spirit though :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 We couldn't bake our family's traditional cookies this year, so we made candy.  Two kinds of fudge, white chocolate salties and some toffee bars.  I filled Christmas tins this afternoon for the neighbors with some of the candy we made.  It's all good, but especially the PHAT COW FUDGE  we made. Oh.My.Word!  "Slap your mama" good!   I got the recipe here.  So yummy!  Let me warn you though...one recipe makes two 9x13 pans...that's a lot of rich yummy fudge.  I would definitely half the recipe and make two separate batches next time to make it easier to stir.  It took two of us taking turns, but it's so worth it.


The problem for me?  Staying away from it.  I certainly don't want to be PHAT or fat!  LOL  Luckily I will be taking all of the candy to my Mom's Christmas party this weekend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear  Santa, 

I  don't want much for Christmas.  I just want the  person reading this to be happy.

Friends  are the fruit cake of life - some nutty,  some  soaked in alcohol,  some sweet - but  mix them together and they're my  friends ;-)

Love  ya.



Christmas hugs from the beach,
Kat


"Father, please let me be a blessing to someone today."

13 comments:

Mari said...

I love the carolers! What a bummer about your stove - you may have to eat out more. :)
The fudge looks sinfully delicious!

Mimi said...

Got to make some of that fudge!! Love your carolers ~ I inherited my Mama's collection and have been adding to it each year since so that now every family member is represented with their own special caroler. You'll have to stop by the acre and see them sometime. Merry Christmas!!

Joy Junktion said...

OMGoodness Kat, I make that fudge every year but have always just called it rocky road fudge! I like your name and may have to change my recipe card - LOL !!!

NitWit1 said...

I love carolers--the real ones. Before multiple asthma/bronchitis and its treatment inhalers, I used to be one. But I still love hearing beautiful cheerful music.

My favorite candy is Date Nut Roll, which is popular in Texas as we have native pecans. it is not difficult to make or EAT. BAD THING IS one piece blows a diet for one or more days!

nancygrayce said...

I love your carolers! That fudge looks great! I'm making Peanut Butter Ribbon fudge this morning...Better get to it!

Sally said...

Awww, your little carolers are precious, and your house always looks so nice, Kat.

Speaking of fudge (and that looks delish) I just posted about the fudge that hasn't been made yet. LOL

We used to go a'caroling when we were kids, and it was such a treat when invited in for hot chocolate and cookies. I hope you have some this year.

((hugs))

"Blossom" said...

The carolers, I do hear them sing!
so sweet. Thank you for bleassing my life this year! Have a wonderful christmas with your new grandbaby and the family. And santa bless Kat because she is one of a kind!

Julie said...

Oh my gosh.. my Mother collected those carolers too Kat. She had about 50 of them and several of the scenery pieces as well. Her very favorite was one I bought her that was a woman holding a screaming baby. About 2 or 3 years before she died, Houston had a big storm with a tremendous amount of water coming down in a short period of time. The basement of their high rise building flooded and all of her carolers were stored down there and were lost. I tried everything to find her that one caroler ... and never could. I even wrote the company that made them. they told me to watch E-bay. Still never found it for her. Gosh that brought back memories..

Anonymous said...

My sister has a HUGE collection of the carolers. I couldn't even guess how many -- like a small town, really.

Loui♥ said...

Hi sweet friend!!
what a beautiful post!!
love the carolers!!
wish we had carolers coming by here also..
in my former life, i did go out caroling with my church group!
and yes.. we were often invited to share in either hot spiced apple cider..
or hot chocolate and cookies..
just delightful..
and so perfectly Christmas!!
your candy looks so yummy..
hugs..and love..
loui♥

Candace said...

oh my goodness, Kat! That looks absolutely amazing. I've got to make some of that!

Betty G said...

Catching up on all the blogs ...

Thanks, I am VERY HAPPY at this time. What a nice wish!

Betty in TN

Unknown said...

I wish I lived closer to you! I'd be sure to have our annual caroling group stop by your lovely home! And with your southern hospitality, I'm sure we'd get to sample some of those goodies you pictured here! :)