Each year, my Mom, Sherry and I (and Bree when she can be here) put on our silly hats and Christmas aprons and make and decorate cookies. It's one of our family traditions. We made our cookies today and sure had fun. We missed having Bree with us again this year.
I love Spritz Cookies because they aren't real sweet. Perfect with a cup of coffee!
Here's our recipe:
Spritz Cookies
2 cups butter, room temperature
1 egg
3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup cornstarch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Add flour and cornstarch and mix just until blended. Transfer dough to a cookie press. Press into desired shapes onto an ungreased baking sheets. Decorate. Bake until light brown and firm to touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool. Makes about 10 dozen. Store in airtight container.
Mom started slowly adding in the flour mixture and I was in charge of the mixer....
oops...flour everywhere...the counter, the floor, my shoes and pants.
Sherry had the hard part...loading the cookie press. We literally pray every year that the darn thing will cooperate. And, miracle of miracles, it did!
Santa approved them even though we just splashed on some sprinkles before putting them in the ovenWe had a wonderful time in New York and I have lots of photos to share in a few days.

29 comments:
You guys are a hoot! The cookies look great!
Kat, sorry I haven't been visiting as often...I'm so glad I caught your post tonight... what a wonderful tradition...and your recipe looks fabulous!! Can't wait to see your New York photos...xo HHL
Looks like so much fun. I'm going to attempt some cookie baking next weekend with my little boyfriend elf. Fingers crossed for just as much fun!
HAHAHA Looks like you guys had such fun. Eat a cookie for me.
You are such an inspiration! Every year I say "Next year I'm going to do that!" and things get in the way. Oh, but next year will be different LOL. Thank you for your post, I enjoy them very much.
You are such an inspiration! Every year I say "Next year I'm going to do that!" and things get in the way. Oh, but next year will be different LOL. Thank you for your post, I enjoy them very much.
Oh yes ma'am - it's not the Christmas season until I make my mom's Spritz cookies! Our cookies look exactly like yours and as soon as I pull out my recipe I'm going to compare because I'll bet they are the same.
Your crew looks SO CUTE in the aprons and headbands!
You ladies are just tooooo darn fun and cute!!!
Such fun! I think I look forward to your party each year as much as you do! LOL! What fun! Love seeing the pics!
Welcome home! What a fun traditiona and how cute you all look. So blessed are you to have your mom and aunt to still do these Xmas fun events with. Lovely threesome!
Thanks for the recipe. Will be baking with the grandkids this week and we will be using my newest "QVC Impulse Purchase" -- an electric Cuisinart cookie press. Looking forward to your NY pix's!
I SO love an endeavor in which hats are involved---the sillier the better.
And when you add cookies and cheery relatives---Girl, you DO know how to throw a party!!
Welcome home, Sweetpea!!! Can't wait to hear of your adventures.
rachel
Awwww, so sweet! I always look forward to your Christmas cookie making day!! So glad you guys made it home from NY safe and sound.
Kat, I don't have A cookie press, could these just be spoon dropped? If so, I'd love to make some with Hunter, and we ALWAYS have flour all over us, the counter and floor! :)
Oh baby, you look beautiful and so do your cookies!!! Now I see if I'm gonna make 'em down here on the Ponderosa, I'm gonna have to have some of those reindeer antlers before I begin!!!!
Ya'll look like ya had a blast and a half makin' cookies and havin' fun.
God bless ya'll and enjoy this day!!!! :o)
What a fun cookie day!! I am so envious of your NYC trip! How fabulous!
You ladies have too much fun!! : )
I wish I could be there with you...
And I know you had a blast in NYC! One day I will get there during the holidays! I have been in Fall, Spring and Summer but SO want to go at Christmas time!! Looking forward to seeing your photos!
Now Grace and I need to make cookies!
Love,
Sue
Just adorable!!! I love Spritz. My Mom used to make them for us.
Love your blog...what a kick in the pants to get rid of the template and get creative with mine. Can't wait to make the cookies! Have a merry, holy, loving Christmas!
Kat, first off, welcome back! And I just have to say you are so blessed to have such an adorable sweet Mother and to do the cookie thing each year with her. Pictures are priceless....and, you know those cookies look delicious!!! You all look so happy and beautiful. God Bless!!!
Joni
Such a sweet tradition you have and what a wonderful relationship you share with your mom and aunt. Such a blessing. Looking forward to seeing your New York pics.
Merry Christmas
I love spritz cookies also! I think I may have to 'steal' your silly hat idea. What fun! My girls and I will be baking and decorating sugar cookies when Em gets home from college. It would be fun to have aprons and hats ready for a fun day of cookie making. :0)
Lovet the hats and aprons! You seem like a fun bunch...yummy looking cookies
Jeannette
Looks like fun! Love the festive attire too!
I can't wait to bake with my mom and sister in laws next week. :)
xo
I will try your recipe. We're having a cookie swap at church on the 19th. This is what I will take. Hope all is well with you. I guess you heard we're battling SNOW and tonight it's going to be 1*F tonight. We got about 6.5" and in Jamestown they got 12". Oh well, we're all hanging by the wood stove (my little buck stove on legs sure has kept us warm). Wish we were there! I could use the beach right now! Oh, I love your mixer. I have one just like it but mine is red. I absolutely love it! Have a Merry Christmas! Joy
Awww! I like your little elf apron!
Yum! Can I just reach into the computer and get a virtual spritz cookie from all of you!? Yum! It tastes delish. Okay one more for tomorrow's morning coffee! (^_^)
Nancy from OHIO
I think I found my next cookie! I just bought a cookie sheet that has the shapes in it from Michaels and I have been looking for the perfect "shapeable" cookie for it. I can't wait to try these. It looks like you had a great time!
Welcome home, my friend. Didn't know you were back yet. You all look great and the cookies look mmm-mmm good. :)
I LOVE your tradition!! I have followed you for about 3 years now and look forward to your Chrismtas posts! and I'm using your recipe this year. Can't wait. Your little elf apron is the cutest!!
Post a Comment